Monday, April 14, 2008

The Ruins

We didn't go to the Hacienda today-- it was closed on Moday (how ironic is that?). Our host, Ellyne, let is on her secret favorite place. And so off we went: forty minutes down the highway, one missed turn, a pretty drive along a straight paved road, and then a few kilometers farther down a narrow unpaved lane. We paid the attendant and went into Oxkintoc. We were the only ones there. I wandered away from Ope and my footsteps seemed loud enough to disturb the peace. I climbed to the top of a high structure to look for him and the breeze felt too good to be true. What a magical place.

We climbed around for hours, both of us later admitting that there had been moments when we had looked down over the deserted stone steps and seen a bustling city over a thousand years old. What and strange and mystical sensation. We are back poolside at Cascadas de Merida where we have decided to stay an extra day and visit the Hacienda tomorrow. The thought of one more of Chucho's delicious breakfasts doesn't hurt. Plus there is free music and dancing on the square tomorrow night. When I retire, I am coming to Merida for a bit: I will learn Spanish and take Salsa lessons. I will eat churros every Sunday. You heard it here first.

No comments: